Celebrating 4th of July

Happy 4th of July Middle Tennessee!

The annual Franklin on the Fourth free, patriotic festival presented by the Franklin Lion’s Club will begin at 10 a.m. in historic downtown Franklin.  The celebration of freedom event will include music, food and craft vendors, kid’s zone, antique cars, petting zoo and children’s parade.  Franklin on the Fourth will conclude at 8 p.m. to allow ample time to get to the fireworks display at The Park at Harlinsdale Farm.  Live music at Harlinsdale Farm begins at 6 p.m.  The fireworks display put on by the city of Franklin and its sponsors begins at approximately 9 p.m.

Over 200,000 people are expected to attend the Nashville “Let Freedom Sing!” 4th of July celebration event that includes music, food trucks and a family fun zone with inflatables, water slides and climbing walls.  For security purposes, entry points are limited to Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Avenues at Demonbreun and Commerce.  The event begins at noon with music at the Broadway Stage.  Grammy Award-winning country group Lady Antebellum will headline a free concert before the fireworks display.  The Ascend Amphitheater doors open at 4 p.m. and the fireworks show starts at approximately 9:30 p.m.

Places where you can watch the Nashville fireworks that are free include: Lower Broadway, The Green at Riverfront Park and Music City Walk of Fame Park.  There are also many rooftop watch parties at various bars in the downtown area.

How are you planning to celebrate this year?



Homeowner’s Insurance: Why do you need it?

Your mortgage lender does not like to take risks!

When you purchase a home with a mortgage loan, you’ll be required to get homeowner’s insurance to protect your lender’s interest in the property. Even if you don’t have a mortgage–it is a good idea to carry homeowner’s insurance. And the cost is not as much as you might expect! Homeowner’s insurance costs depend on a few factors including type of home, pets and neighborhood.

You’ll need to pay the first year in advance which will be wrapped into your closing costs due at settlement. After that, your lender will put a little of your mortgage premium you pay each month into what is called an escrow account. Your mortgage company will usually pay your property taxes and homeowner’s insurance premiums from this escrow account–which is very convenient for homeowners!

How much insurance do you need?

That depends on your lender’s policies. You may just need to have enough to cover your lender’s interest at market value. But most experts agree that you should cover the “replacement cost” of your home. Replacement cost is the cost of all materials required to rebuild your home.

What is covered?

Homeowner’s insurance protects your home if it were to be destroyed by fire, theft or a natural disaster. You’ll find a basic policy covers most of your needs and will cover regular home issues like roof replacement or a fallen tree damage to your property. However, if you have an expensive jewelry collection or other unusual and costly items, you may need additional insurance.

Standard homeowner’s policies do not insure against floods, earthquakes or sinkholes. If you live in a flood zone, your lender will probably require you to purchase additional flood insurance. Even if you are not required to purchase specific hazard coverage, you may ask what it would cost if those events are most likely to occur in your area.

You’ll want to consider a Home Warranty for protection from the expense of repairing or replacing covered home system components or appliances when they break down. Most basic home warranty plans cover central heating and air conditioning, plumbing, electrical systems, water heaters and ductwork.